Azaranica is a non-biased news aggregator on Hazaras. The main aim is to promote understanding and respect for cultural identities by highlighting the realities they face on daily basis...Hazaras have been the victim of active persecution and discrimination and one of the reasons among many has been the lack of information, awareness, and disinformation.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Quetta Hazara town bombing: Victims buried under strict security


Rescuers and residents gather at the suicide attack site in Quetta on June 30, 2013.—Photo by AFP
Updated 2013-07-01 16:09:50

QUETTA: All 30 victims of a deadly suicide bombing in Quetta’s Hazara town were laid to rest on Monday amid tight security from police and paramilitary troops.

A large number of people were present at the burial under security cover by the provincial administration. Security was also tightened in and around Hazara Town to prevent the occurrence of another untoward incident. Frontier Corps (FC) and police personnel were deployed at all exit and entry points leading to Hazara town.

A day of mourning was being observed in Quetta in the wake of the blast on the call of the Hazara Democratic Party, Shia Council and the Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party (PkMAP). All government offices were shut in the provincial capital to mourn the tragedy, and the main markets in the city also remained closed.

The deadly suicide blast ripped through the Aliabad area of Hazara town on Sunday night, claiming 30 lives and leaving around 70 wounded.

“A suicide bomber blew himself up near a barrier close to Ali Ibn-Abu-Talib Imambargah,” DIG (Investigation) Syed Mobin Ahmed had told Dawn.

The explosion killed 28 people and wounded 70 people belonging to the ethnic Shia Hazara minority on Sunday. Two of the wounded later succumbed to their injuries at the military-run Combined Military Hospital on Monday morning, raising the death toll to 30.

Sources said that an unidentified man on a bicycle tried to enter the area and when people standing near the barrier tried to stop him he blew himself up.

The proscribed Lashkar-i-Jhangvi has claimed responsibility of the attack.

Meanwhile, police have traced the head and some body parts of a suicide bomber behind a deadly blast.

Fayyaz Sumbal, the Deputy Inspector General Police, told on Monday that the head and body parts of the suicide-bomber would soon be sent for forensic tests. He said investigators had also approached Nadra for identification of the suicide bomber.

Earlier on Monday, senior government official Shehzada Farhat told that some of the injured persons were still serious in serious condition. The wounded were being treated at the CMH.

A six-member police team has been formed to probe the deadly bombing. The Superintendent of the Police Investigation, Muhammad Tariq, was designated to lead the team. A case against the unknown militants was also registered at the Browery Police Station.

Meanwhile, investigators from the secret services investigated the site of the incident and checked the wreckage of the blast for clues.

DIG Sumbal, however, told on Monday that no suspect had yet been detained by police after Sunday night’s deadly bombing.

No comments:

Post a Comment